Thorold native Conor Timmins says he "was not involved in any way" in an alleged sexual assault committed by fellow members of Canada's 2018 World Junior hockey team.
The allegations came to light in May after Hockey Canada settled a lawsuit with a woman, now 24, who said she was sexually assaulted by eight players—including members of the 2018 world championship junior team—at a gala and golf function in London, Ont., in June of that year.
Timmins—a former star with the Thorold Blackhawks, and now a defenceman with the NHL's Arizona Coyotes—was a member of the gold-medal squad. He released a statement Monday through his agency, Quartexx Hockey, to make clear he had absolutely no involvement in the alleged assault that has triggered so many headlines.
"I am aware of the allegations made against some of the members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior Hockey team at the London, Ontario gala event in June of 2018," his statement reads. "I was not involved in any way in the incident that gave rise to the allegations that have been reported. No one alleges that I was present or involved and I have no personal knowledge of what occurred."
The statement continues: "I cooperated fully with the initial Hockey Canada investigation and will continue to cooperate in any other investigations as required as investigations are ongoing. I will not be commenting further on the matter."
Hockey Canada announced last week it was reopening its investigation into the alleged assault. The woman involved in the case has said she will cooperate.