A 43-year-old Welland man is facing several firearm-related charges after Waterloo regional police stopped a speeding vehicle on Coronation Boulevard in Cambridge on Sunday night.
Police said officers observed a speeding vehicle in the area of Coronation Boulevard and Highland Park and after stopping the driver, discovered he didn't have a valid licence and was under a driving suspension.
Upon further investigation, the driver was found to be in possession of a loaded handgun and a knife.
Police arrested the man and charged him with several offences, including:
- Carry Concealed Weapon
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle
- Possession of Restricted/Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition
- Careless Storage of a Firearm
- Careless Storage of Ammunition
- Drive While Under Suspension
- Fail to Comply with Court Order
- Failure or Refusal to Comply with Breath Demand
The accused was held in police custody for a bail hearing.