SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting injuries sustained today by a 46-year-old man in Smithville.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on December 21, 2018, 911 received a call from a woman reporting that two individuals were tied up in the basement of a residence on Anastasia Boulevard.
- When Niagara Regional Police Service officers arrived at the residence, a person of interest – the 46-year-old man – fled.
- Officers located him in the intersection of Anastasia Boulevard and Harvest Gate and there was an interaction.
- One officer discharged his firearm, and the man was struck multiple times. He was transported to hospital for treatment of gunshot wounds.
- The two individuals in the home were also transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
At this time, four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the investigation. Five witness officers and one subject officer have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.