PROVINCE OF ONTARIO
FORT ERIE – The Ontario government is supporting a more than $18 million investment by Abatement Technologies Limited with $2.5 million through the Ontario Together Fund. The new investment will help the company respond to increased demand for its products since the onset of COVID-19.
Abatement Technologies has seen a spike in demand for its suite of products, including air purification systems, which created an immediate need for expansion. This investment will allow the company to purchase new equipment and expand its production capabilities with a new facility in Fort Erie, which the company has already broken ground on in April 2021. To date, the project has created 21 jobs, and is expected to create another 40 jobs over the next three years.
Ontario has invested an additional $50 million in the renewed Ontario Together Fund in 2021–22 to support companies like Abatement Technologies that are responding to the new demands brought on by the global pandemic. The fund will continue to support local innovators and businesses to further enhance Ontario’s domestic supply chain capacity, promote Ontario’s medical technology ecosystem, and build up our manufacturing sector to ensure the province is well-prepared for future challenges.
“Through the Ontario Together Fund, our government is making strategic investments in domestic businesses with the ideas and solutions to help us through this pandemic,” said Vic Fedeli, minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade. “Demand for Abatement Technologies’ products, including air purification systems for healthcare facilities and residential homes, has increased dramatically. With Ontario’s support, the company will be able to significantly expand its production and continue to enhance our resilience to any challenge while strengthening our economy.”
The renewed Ontario Together Fund is focused on supporting homegrown manufacturing and innovation to combat COVID-19 and providing other goods critical to the health, safety, and security of Ontarians beyond this pandemic.
Abatement Technologies is a leader in clean air technology. It designs and manufactures powerful HEPA air purification and containment products that help control and remove harmful airborne pathogens and improve air quality in a variety of settings.
“The support we have received through the Ontario Together Fund during our response to the COVID-19 pandemic has played an integral part in our ability to scale and respond to the dire needs of Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, and many other sensitive sites,” said Justin Larsen, Abatement Technologies Limited director of marketing and product innovation. “Our company is passionate about protecting people and our great team has been all in, doing everything we can to help. From pop-up testing sites to increased patient isolation capacity and making common areas safer, we feel our equipment is really making a difference. This expansion will allow us to continue to contribute to the fight against this pandemic and help prepare us for events like this in the future.”
Since its launch in April 2020, the Ontario Together Fund has helped businesses with innovative ideas and solutions to retool or adapt their operations to produce supplies and equipment for the health care sector and frontline workers. Some successful Ontario Together Fund recipients include:
• Guelph-based Linamar Corp. retooled its assembly line to manufacture ventilator components to produce 10,000 Ontario-made e700 ventilators, in partnership with O-Two Medical Technologies and Bombardier.
• Empack Spraytech Inc., a Brampton-based, privately-owned family operated business, will manufacture more than 4 million surface disinfectant wipes in a new 100,000-square-foot Barrie manufacturing facility.
• Toronto-based Kinectrics Inc. will scale up testing resources for surgical masks and N95 respirators and introduce new PPE testing services for surgical gowns and medical drapes.
Healthy people are essential for a healthy economy. With Ontario’s ambitious rollout of vaccines and booster shot distribution continuing to increase, the government is taking further action to slow the spread of the highly contagious Omicron variant. Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy provides the resources necessary to finish the battle with COVID-19 and builds on the government’s record investments to protect health and jobs during the global pandemic.
• Shortly after its founding in 1988, Abatement Technologies became a key player in pandemic response with the design of a series of portable patient isolation systems first developed to help control the spread of tuberculosis.
• To date, the Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade has supported 38 companies through the Ontario Together Fund, including Abatement Technologies, and 10 organizations in supplying emergency products including PPE as well as other solutions.
• Ontario’s Action Plan: Protecting People’s Health and Our Economy brings total investments to $16.3 billion to protect people’s health and $23.3 billion to protect our economy. Ontario’s COVID-19 action plan support now totals $51 billion.
• Businesses and organizations looking to apply to the extended Ontario Together Fund can now submit through available funding opportunities from the Ontario Government.